Its all about research
Its difficult to come up with solutions to problems when the problems aren't clearly identified, understood, or able to be measured. At the Law Enforcement Research Group, we strive to conduct and support quality research that can not only answer tough questions in law enforcement but start to provide answers.
Our purpose is to conduct research dedicated to improving law enforcement internally with special emphasis being paid to morale and working conditions. We believe that this can be accomplished by identifying internal inefficiencies that can be systemically reduced or eliminated, isolating and promoting successful practices found within well-performing organizations, and improving promotional testing and hiring methods to promote positive change on a local and global level.
The Law Enforcement Research Group is about to begin accepting grant applications for our next research grant. We are looking for research projects that fall under any of the following categories:
Current Research Projects
Currently we are in the planning stages for a comprehensive National research study that will provide years of potential data analysis. We'll keep you up to date on the project!
Funded Research Projects
Check back for abstracts of current research projects we are funding along with timelines and progress.
Looking for a Research Topic?
Interested in improving law enforcement and looking for a research project? We are looking for your help! There are countless questions that still need answers and countless areas of research that can provide meaningful change to law enforcement. Here are a few questions we'd love to see research on:
- Does face-to-face polling yield more accurate results when investigating police morale issues? It has been hypothesized that respondents to open surveys and officers polled at training classes are generally more vocal employees and may not be a true representation of an agency.
- External and internal characteristics of agencies with high morale versus the characteristics of agencies with low morale
- Organizational issues in large agencies versus small agencies; Are they different? What are they? What is their significance to the baseline stress level in the rank and file?
- Police suicide factors; Does overall agency morale have any correlation?
- Are there alternative organizational structures that may be a better fit for law enforcement? Law enforcement is inherently paramilitary but is this the best model?
- Leadership and command staff; Characteristics of these in agencies with high morale versus characteristics of these in agencies with low morale.
- Officer schedules and their impacts on stress levels; What are the work schedules nationwide with the lowest impact on stress and schedules with the higher impact on baseline stress?
- Does media coverage impact agency morale or does it correlate to it in any way?
- Do agencies with higher levels of physical fitness correlate to higher levels of agency morale?
- Characteristics of officers with high levels of morale versus characteristics of officers with low levels of morale
- Does high levels of organizational stress and/or low morale within an agency contribute to the susceptibility of developing PTSD?